Tredegar House

Tredegar House (Chris Harris)

This imposing mansion is one of the most historically important 17th century houses in Britain, home of the Morgan family for over 500 years.

Set in a beautiful 90 acre park, Tredegar House is one of the finest examples of a 17th century Charles II era mansion in Britain.

Situated on the edge of Newport, the house was the home of the Morgan family, later Lords Tredegar, for over 500 years. The current house dates from 1672 and replaced an earlier stone building, parts of which can still be seen incorporated into the later brick mansion.

The Morgans were major landowners, Members of Parliament for Brecon and Brecknock, and had a huge effect on the development of the city of Newport as a major port and industrial centre. They invested heavily in the coal and iron industries, railways and canals, and land, amassing a vast fortune. The family also donated land to the Newport Corporation for Belle Vue Park, the Royal Gwent Hospital and Newport Athletics Ground.

Evan Morgan, 2nd Viscount Tredegar, was the last of the Morgans to live at Tredegar House. He was an occultist and friend of Aleister Crowley, and lived alone in the house with a menagerie of animals, including penguins and a kangaroo.

After the death of the 2nd Viscount Tredegar, Evan Morgan, in 1949, the Morgan family sold the house and grounds. After a short time as a girl’s school, the manor was purchased by Newport City Council in 1974. At this time, it was described as a ‘decaying shell’. The council restored the house and, in 2012, the National Trust took over management. The house is open to visitors daily and the parkland is free to visit.

The house has been restored to something approaching its former glory, with some of the original furnishings repurchased and returned to the house, and others replaced. The New Parlour is furnished in Victorian style as a dining room. In the New Hall is an assortment of 17th century portraits of kings and queens. The carvings in the Brown Room include strange beasts, foliage and faces. The bedchamber contains a 1720's bed, and there is a below-stairs exhibition with a kitchen, stillroom, housekeeper's room and servants' hall.

The house is open to visitors daily and the parkland is free to visit.


More information

For more information about Tredegar House, visit the National Trust website.


Tredegar House, Duffryn, Newport, NP10 8YW

Opening times

The House is open from 16th February 2019.
The Park is open daily, year-round, from dawn to dusk.
Click here for more information.

How to get there

By Public Transport

Google maps


By bike

Google maps


By road

Google maps